33rd Annual St. Anthony Maronite Lebanese Food Festival
1 Attending
  • Us4Arabs

33rd Annual St. Anthony Maronite Lebanese Food Festival

Created By:
Start Time
09:00 am
Saturday
May 20, 2017
End Time
09:00 pm
Sunday
May 21, 2017

Location

Location/Venue:
St. Anthony Maronite Church
Country:
Virginia,  United States
Address:
4611 Sadler Road
City:
Glen Allen

Description

May 19-20, 2017 | Glen Allen, VA


St. Anthony Maronite Church, 4611 Sadler Road Glen Allen, VA


10 am - 10 pm


Maronites immigrated from Lebanon to America. A few Maronites arrived in Richmond, Virginia about 1895. They attended Saint Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church in the Church Hill section of the city. The first Maronite Mass was celebrated in the home of William Moses Soffee on Franklin Street.


GardenBy 1902, early Maronites called for a meeting to discuss the establishment of a Maronite parish. By 1909 the numbers of Maronites in Richmond rapidly increased and they believed that they could support some form of a chapel. In 1912, Bishop Dennis O’Connell, Catholic Bishop of Richmond, granted them the use of Saint Patrick’s Church at a restricted time between 9:00 and 11:00 on Sundays.


In June of 1914, a hall over a candy factory was renovated into a chapel. Father Abdulla Tarabay, from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, became the first priest.


The hall burned down in the latter part of 1915 and in October, 1916, a chapel-like building was purchased at 505 N. 33rd St. It was renovated and named Saint Anthony’s Maronite Catholic Church.


In 1936, Father Joseph Yesbeck became pastor for a short period of time. When he left, Father Bernard Moore from Saint Patrick’s was commissioned to say Mass at Saint Anthony’s until a Maronite priest arrived. On November 10, 1938, Father (later Monsignor) Anthony Korkemaz became the pastor. Under his leadership, Saint Anthony’s was relocated to 2503 Park Avenue in 1948.


Father (later Monsignor) Beshara Salwan succeeded Father Anthony as pastor at the end of 1960. Land for the development of a church and recreational complex was purchased on Sadler Road in Glen Allen. After Monsignor Salwan’s death in 1984, Father George M. Sebaali was assigned by Bishop Francis Zayek to minister to the people of Richmond.

Recurring Events

This event repeats everyday
Activity Feed

There are no new feeds to view at this time.
TOP